Jefferson Elementary School
[Skip to Content]


Old Jefferson School

91 Van Giesen, Richland Washington

Jefferson Site: Land bounded on the west by George Washington Way, on the north by Van Giesen Street, on the east by Hunt Avenue, and on the south by a line perpendicular to George Washington Way extending along the south boundary of the tennis courts from George Washington Way to Hunt Avenue (July 10, 1952). 

It consisted of 12 acres. 


1944: $114,672 (9 classrooms)

1948: $451,000 (12 classrooms); reroof gymnasium

1954: $351,359 (2 kindergarten and 9 primary classrooms)

TOTAL: $917,041

Occupied the building September 11, 1944 with an enrollment of 270 which was 35% overload. In 1948 the enrollment was 578. In June 1970 the enrollment was 815. With the additional elementary school in 1970, enrollment dropped to 442 in 1971. Special Education was give the use of some of the classrooms.

It is of frame construction, with brick or concrete fire walls separating each wing. 

Capacity: 625
Square Footage: 63,034

Property transferred to School District in 1958.


  • 1944-1947: Louise Johnston
  • 1953-1973: Arthur E. Lind
  • 1973 -: Gerald Lane

Was named after Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826) who was the author of and signed the Declaration of Independence.; was first Secretary of State; he established the District of Columbia; organized the Democratic - Republican paries; was Minister to France; elected Vice President in 1776; wrote the Kentucky Resolution; was President of the United States 1801-1809.  His native state was Virginia where he graduated from William and Mary College. 

Most of "old" Jefferson School was demolished in 1982. A replacement school was occupied February 1982. 

Jefferson Elementary School, 1525 Hunt, Richland School District (Benton County, WA). The old Jefferson School building was first occupied in September 1944. By 1980 the building needed so many costly repairs the school board decided to build a new school on the same site. The new Jefferson school was occupied on February 22, 1982. The old building was demolished that same year. The name Jefferson had been selected because Thomas Jefferson was president of the United States during the Lewis and Clark Expedition which opened the Pacific Northwest to settlement.

Source: Name on the Schoolhouse, An Anecdotal List of Some Historic Names of Schools in Washington State, Compiled and Edited by Kenneth L. Calkins.1991. ISBN 0-9630702-0-7