Eating healthy doesn't always come easy for kids, but 11 RSD elementary students used their culinary skills to create delicious, healthy meals anyone would want to eat at Sodexo’s Future Chef’s Challenge!
Marcus Whitman Elementary fourth grader Daniel Masenten took home first place for his fruit salad recipe. Daniel’s salad includes a mix of honeydew melon, cantaloupe and fresh blackberries tossed in a sweet and zesty sauce with chopped pecans and fresh tarragon. He is eligible to be chosen as a regional finalist and if selected, would be one of five students competing at the national Sodexo competition.
The 11 finalists, worked alongside Tri-Tech Culinary students who mentored them as they cooked their meals. Students had to create a presentation plate, five judges plates, as well as dozens of tasting portions of their creations for the public.
Local restauranteurs Keith Moon (owner of Tumbleweeds Restaurant) and Megan Savely (owner of Frost Me Sweet), along with Superintendent Dr. Shelley Redinger, Executive Director of Operations Richard Krasner and former RSD Field Supervisor for Nutrition Services Cheryl Latta, judged the creations on originality, taste, kid friendliness and use of healthy ingredients.
All participating students went home with a chef’s coat and hat, cooking utensils, a backpack, gloves and more to help grow their culinary passion.
The 11 RSD finalists included:
- Kiptyn Beaman (Desert Sky) – Brussel Bombs
- Paige Boyovich (William Wiley) – Fruit Mash
- Donovan Campbell-Beeman (Badger Mountain) – D-Man’s Dynamite Corn Fritters
- Jordin Calderon (Jason Lee) – Filledful Cookies
- Jon Darby (Orchard) – Instant Pot Mac & Cheese with Ham
- Abigail Kovach (Tapteal) – Blueberry Surprise
- Daniel Masenten (Marcus Whitman) – Daniel’s Fruit Salad
- Audrey Odd (Three Rivers HomeLink) – Supertastical Spaghetti Squash
- Shelby Olsen (Sacajawea) – Carrot & Apple Pizzazz Sticks
- Elliott Stegen (Jefferson) – Veggie Cheese Balls
- Jacob Valdez (White Bluffs) – Ramen’s Best Friend
A special thank you to Sodexo, RSD’s Nutrition Services team and Tri-Tech Skills Center for helping make this event happen.