We are looking for a leader for our growing schools who will support diverse student needs and a tradition of providing more than a basic education.
The Richland School Board has initiated a search for the district's next superintendent. Superintendent Dr. Rick Schulte will retire from the district on June 30, 2020 and the Board is committed to finding a superintendent who will connect with the community and help its schools and students be successful.
The Board is committed to an open, transparent and collaborative process and all community members in the Richland School District are invited to participate in this effort to find the next leader of our schools.
Superintendent Search Updates
Sept. 11, 2019
The district has released a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for executive search consultants interested in assisting in identifying the successor to Superintendent Dr. Rick Schulte. Dr. Schulte will retire from the district on June 30, 2020.
Search consultants have until Oct. 4 to submit their proposals to the Board. Board members are seeking a consultant with the capability, experience, and interest in finding a superintendent candidate capable of leading a district with more than 14,000 students in kindergarten through Grade 12 across 19 schools. The Board anticipates selecting the winning consultant by the end of October 2019.
- How does the superintendent search process work?
- When will the new superintendent be hired?
- Why is the district hiring a search consultant?
- When do parents weigh-in?
- How many candidates will the district consider?
- What is the timing of the process and hiring?
- How can the public follow the search process?
- Can we know who has applied to be superintendent?
The Richland School Board will work with a search consultant to identify potential superintendent candidates. A Community Search Committee made up of parents, community members, staff and students will assist the Board in reviewing applications. There will also be opportunities for the community at large to engage with and provide input on superintendent candidates.
Search consultants are frequently used by school districts to identify potential superintendent candidates. Their expertise in working with school boards in developing a list of desired characteristics, finding and screening candidates and their ability to fit a district's needs, incorporating community input and managing a high quality search process are crucial to a successful superintendent search.
The Board tentatively plans to seek applications for a Community Search Committee in October 2019 with committee appointments announced by the end of November 2019. The committee is expected to begin meeting in December 2019. Other opportunities for public input on the search and potential candidates will follow in early 2020.
Assistant Superintendent For Human Resources
Tentative Search Timeline
- September 2019
- Develop & Publish Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for search firms
- Publicize search process
- Develop application for Community Search Committee
- October 2019
- Search firms submit bids for RFQ
- Community members submit applications for search committee
- November 2019
- Evaluation of RFQ bids and selection of search firm
- Evaluation of search committee applications and appointment of committee members
- December 2019
- Begin superintendent search process and search committee meetings
- March 2019
- New superintendent announced