We are looking for a leader for our growing schools who will support diverse student needs and a tradition of providing more than a basic education.
The Richland School Board has initiated a search for the district's next superintendent. Superintendent Dr. Rick Schulte will retire from the district on June 30, 2020 and the Board is committed to finding a superintendent who will connect with the community and help its schools and students be successful.
The Board is committed to an open, transparent and collaborative process and all community members in the Richland School District are invited to participate in this effort to find the next leader of our schools.
Superintendent Search Updates
Dec. 16, 2019
Parents, staff, students and community members are invited to attend focus group meetings on Jan. 7 & 8 to share what qualities and characteristics they want to see in the district's next superintendent.
Dec. 10, 2019
The Richland School Board finalized the calendar for conducting the search for the district's next superintendent, including determining opportunities for public participation in the process.
Nov. 12, 2019
During a regular Board meeting on Nov. 12, board members agreed to hold a public meeting with Mr. Harris to discuss the superintendent search process and what the Board is looking for in a candidate in order to meet the Board’s timeline to have a new superintendent hired in March or April while giving ample opportunity for the public to be part of the search process. The meeting will be on Nov. 22 in Bellevue while board members attend meetings of the Washington State School Directors Association (WSSDA).
Oct. 25, 2019
On Oct. 22, Richland School Board members interviewed representatives of three consultant firms who replied to the board’s Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for a superintendent search consultant services — Ray and Associates, Inc.; Human Capital Enterprises; and Northwest Leadership Associates.
The Board set a special board meeting for Friday, Oct. 25 to ensure each board member could participate in making a decision with the same information. At the special meeting, the Board voted 3-1 to select Hank Harris of Human Capital Enterprises to provide superintendent search consultant services. Board member Jill Oldson was the lone dissenting vote but said she supports the Board’s decision.
Sept. 11, 2019
The district has released a Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for executive search consultants interested in assisting in identifying the successor to Superintendent Dr. Rick Schulte. Dr. Schulte will retire from the district on June 30, 2020.
Search consultants have until Oct. 4 to submit their proposals to the Board. Board members are seeking a consultant with the capability, experience, and interest in finding a superintendent candidate capable of leading a district with more than 14,000 students in kindergarten through Grade 12 across 19 schools. The Board anticipates selecting the winning consultant by the end of October 2019.
- How does the superintendent search process work?
- When will the new superintendent be hired?
- Why is the district hiring a search consultant?
- When do parents weigh-in?
- How many candidates will the district consider?
- What is the timing of the process and hiring?
- How can the public follow the search process?
- Can we know who has applied to be superintendent?
Assistant Superintendent For Human Resources
- September 2019
- Develop & Publish Request for Qualifications (RFQ) for search firms
- Publicize search process
- Develop application for Community Search Committee
- October 2019
- Search firms submit bids for RFQ
- Community members submit applications for search committee
- Evaluation of RFQ bids and selection of search firm
- November 2019
- Evaluation of search committee applications and appointment of committee members
- December 2019
- Begin superintendent search process and search committee meetings
- January 2020
- Jan. 7 & 8: Community and Staff Focus Meetings on superintendent candidate qualities
- Jan. 6-17: Online survey on superintendent candidate qualities
- February 2020
- Feb. 17-20: Preliminary candidate interviews with consultant
- Feb. 25: Determination of format on finalist interviews
- March 2020
- March 6: First round interviews with Board
- March 9-23: Candidate background checks and site visits
- March 24-26: Finalist interviews with Board and public forums
- Last week of March: Board decision and public announcement of next superintendent