Special Education Task Force
The Special Education Task Force is charged with examining our current K-12 special education model as well as the findings of other reviews and complaint proceedings and other applicable documents and data. The task force will make recommendations to the superintendent regarding steps to implement changes over multiple years to the district's special education services.
Annually, the task force will reconvene to review the progress made in the prior academic year, report progress to the school board, and develop the following year’s detailed plan for submission to the Richland School Board by March 1 each year.
Task Force Members
Members were selected by the Richland School Board in August 2019.
Task Force Facilitator: Sarah Sorensen Petersen, Clinical Assistant Professor of Education, Washington State University (WSU) Tri-Cities
- Elementary: Michael Summers, Myriam Bradshaw, Kelly Roseberg and Heather Castleberry (alternate)
- Middle School: Annamarie Carlson, Zac Carpenter, April Gardner and Tamra Harrison (alternate)
- High School: Tonya Goche, Eugene Nemeth, Craig Smith and Mike Stevens (alternate)
- Special Education Teachers: Summer Zumini, Amanda Fish, Renae Yecha, Jill Ives, Constance Morelock, Laurie Price
- General Education Teachers: Molly Judkins, Kim Maldonado
- Principals: Shana Borms, Tim Praino
- School Board Member: Rick Donahoe
- REA Representative: Ken Hays
- PSE Representative: Nicki Sintay
- Assistant Superintendent: Brian Moore
- Special Education Administrators: Mandy Cathey, Tracy Blankenship, Kiley Hodges
- Community Agency: Meg Fallows
- Teaching, Learning & Curriculum Administrator: Nicki Blake
- Itinerant Staff Member: Rachel Carter
- Sept. 19, 2019, 8 a.m.: Develop group norms, review background information and best practices
- Oct 3, 2019 @ 3:45 p.m.: Survey Analysis
- Nov. 11, 2019 @ 3:45 p.m.
- Nov. 21, 2019 @ 3:45 p.m.
- Dec. 19, 2019 @ 3:45 p.m.
- Jan. 16, 2020 @ 3:45 p.m.
- Feb. 13, 2020 @ 3:45 p.m.
- Feb. 27, 2020 @ 3:45 p.m.
- March 26, 2020 @ 3:45 p.m.
- April 16, 2020 @ 3:45 p.m.
- April 30, 2020 @ 3:45 p.m.
- May 21, 2019 @ 3:45 p.m.: Finalize recommendations to Superintendent
- May 30, 2019 @ 3:45 p.m.: Submit final recommendations to Superintendent
The Special Education Task Force Outreach Team will include all community members interested in the work of the task force and want to provide input. Meetings are tentatively scheduled to be in the gym at Marcus Whitman Elementary. Location and dates of meetings are subject to change.
Tentative Meeting Schedule
- Oct. 17, 2019 @ 6 p.m.
- Dec. 5, 2019 @ 6 p.m.
- Jan. 30, 2020 @ 6 p.m.
- March 12, 2020 @ 6 p.m.
- May 7, 2020 @ 6 p.m.