Weather Delays & Closures
We attempt to announce delays or closures as early as possible. Assume that schools are running on time if there is no notice of delay or cancellation on the district’s website.
Every weather incident is different, and the district may deviate from these procedures if necessary.
The district supports a parent’s or guardian’s decision to not send their child to school or pick their child up early because of weather conditions. Absences will be considered excused with a signed note.
The district will not send students home early due to inclement weather as it cannot be guaranteed students will be able to enter their homes and have supervision.
How To Learn If School Is Delayed Or Closed
- Websites - Check www.rsd.edu and individual school websites
- Text Alerts (NEW for 2021-22) - The district will send text alerts to parents/guardians as soon as there is a delay or closure decision. Families can receive text alerts by calling their child's school to ensure their correct contact information is updated.
- Direct Emails – The district will send emails to parents/guardians as soon as there is a delay or closure decision. Call your child's school to make sure your email address is up-to-date. Community members may also sign up to receive email alerts about delays and closures.
- FlashAlert - The FlashAlert system distributes emergency messages and weathers alerts. Sign-up to receive FlashAlert from the Richland School District.
- Social Media - Facebook, Twitter & Instagram
- News Media – Local television and radio stations frequently run delay and closure announcements
School Delay Procedures
- 2-Hour Delay
- Early Release Days
- Tri-Tech Skills Center, Delta High School & Running Start
- Athletics, After-School Activities, and Other School Events
- Snow Bus Stops and Routes