It's official.....the Jefferson Elementary School replacement project is underway. The entire Jefferson student body emptied out to the north playfield Friday morning to watch the groundbreaking ceremony. And the students had some extra fun when they joined school board members, district administrators, and teachers in turning over some of the dirt with gold shovels.
"This is a very exciting day for our entire Jefferson family," said Principal Bobbi Buttars.
Design West Architects, Kennewick, is the architectural firm for the Jefferson replacement project. The new Jefferson will be 65,000 square feet in size and house 537 students.
In February 2013, Richland School District residents approved a $98 million bond issue to address nine specific facility improvement projects (see list below). Jefferson is the ninth and final project to get underway.
- Replace Lewis & Clark Elementary School
- Replace Marcus Whitman Elementary School
- Replace Sacajawea Elementary School
- Build a New Elementary School in the south/west area
- Build a New Middle School in the south/west area
- Provide educational space for HomeLink
- Replace Jefferson Elementary
- Replace the HVAC system at Chief Joseph Middle School
- Make safety improvements at Fran Rish Stadium